Friday, July 6, 2012

Some Thoughts on Traveling with a family of 5 in an RV for 10 Days



First of all, I think I have been forever ruined  for tent camping!!  I love this thing!!!  We’ve got power, we’ve got a shower, a potty, mattresses that don’t deflate in the middle of the night, I don’t have to strike a match to cook dinner (I could even nuke it, LOL)  But most importantly, on this trip anyway… we’ve got temperature control!  This baby kept us cool in the desert (even in the middle of the afternoon when the temps soared above 105), and warm during the second half of our trip at night.  (it got into the low 40s at night and the upper 80s during the day there) 
Room for everybody

Cruising in style

A little Ipad time in Emma's nook

You would think it would feel congested with 5 people in one, but most of the time it didn’t, thanks to personal electronic devices.   I struggled with, and am still not 100% comfortable with our decision to let the kids bring their devices, downloaded shows, and get Verizon 3g coverage for our Ipad this month.  But let’s face it, nowadays we all like to stay connected somehow, and the kids are no different.  Part of me wanted to make them (and us!) go cold turkey and SPEND TIME together.  That’s what vacation is all about right?  Well, we have spent time together --  a lot of it!!!   But it is definitely nice for us all to retreat to our corners and chill with the electronics at the end of a long day.   So I guess I feel like this enhances the vacation, especially for a couple of our passengers. 

Oh, you think that we would all just be awestruck and want to explore every nook and cranny of our fine national parks???  I wish!!!!!  I am, and could spend the entire day out and about just taking it all in.  But it’s not just my vacation, and we have a couple of non- outdoorsy types.
 They feel like, “We came, we saw, can we go back to the RV now?” 

:::::::::shudder:::::::::  I know, I know………  Well, I think we have reached a happy medium for the most part.  We have done a couple of hikes, lots of sightseeing, and a couple of adventures so far with the canyoneering and ATV ride.  We’ve gotten to have the kids spend more time with my husband’s parents, and it has all been good….so far.   4 more days to go……